As a teacher, I made it a point that students don’t find exams as a stressful and dreaded activity. There were times when I make one extra copy of the test paper for myself. I take a “fun” test with them. Students look forward to my fun tests because they want to challenge my mastery of the subject. (Sometimes I allow them to form a group and make the test questions for our quiz.)Anyone who will beat my score will be exempted on the next test.
Students do not realize that they experience flow in this type of tests. They become too eager and focused on the exam because they want to beat my score. Afterwards, I ask a student to check my own test paper. If I make a mistake, there will be a loud bang inside the class.
Hi Ma’am! For the sake of fun, you may also try answering my reviewer!
PRACTISE TEST ON MASLOW’S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS
P – Physiological needs
S – Safety Needs
B – Belongingness & Love Needs
E – Esteem Needs
A – Self – Actualization
I. EASY TEST: Classify the need
- 1. friends
- 2. safety
- 3. including creative activities
- 4. food
- 5. intimate relationships
- 6. feeling of accomplishment
- 7. security
- 8. water
- 9. prestige
- 10. warmth
- 11. achieving one’s full potential
- 12. rest
II. Group the needs
- Psychological Needs a) b)
- Self – fulfillment Needs a)
- Basic Needs a) b)
III. CHALLENGING TEST: These are other needs stated in Maslow’s needs from the other materials referred by Teacher Malou:
- bodily integrity
- full use and expression of capacities
- predictable and orderly world
- full use and expression of talents
- desire for strength and achievement
- warm and friendly relationships
- full use and expression potentialities
IV. TICKLE TEST: True or False:
1. According to Maslow, there are no other needs aside from the five needs that he mentioned.
1. a) B b) E
2. a) A
3. a) P b) S
IV. FALSE. He added cognitive and aesthetic needs to the 5 basic needs.
Fun tests develop camaraderie. They remind me that no teacher is omniscient. Fun tests keep me humble. Teachers and students learn and acquire mastery of the subject together. Checking of the papers allow us to debate and laugh together. We learn to respect each other knowing that no one can perfect the test all the time. Tests become fun!
EDS Module 3: Motivation